Ryley: Mom, Kadyn said the "S" word!
Mom: (laughing inside and assuming they are teasing me in reference to the Care Bears Movie I decide to play along)
Oh really! Uh-oh. Kadyn, you really shouldn't say the word "serious"!
Ryley: Oh no Mother. She said the other "S" word.
Mom: (Alright, at this point I'm half confused and half freaking out. Mainly I'm freaking out. In my pathetic attempt to grasp what is happening, but not wanting to hear what may be happening I stutter out) What? What do you mean? I don't understand?
Ryley: "You know Mom. She said,.....(in a whisper) stupid".
WOW. Didn't see that coming. At that moment two things happened. I took a deep breath, and, my heart filled with joy.
I have thought about this dialogue again and again over the past few days and now have three thoughts on the matter.
First, indeed, the word "stupid" is not a very nice word.
Second, I must clarify for Kadyn's sake that her word choice was in reference to feelings regarding nap time.
Third, and most importantly, at that moment my heart was filled with deep gratitude. How grateful I am for these innocent and tender children who enrich our lives and remind us daily to strive in, "becoming as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, and willing to submit to all things..".