“Noble and great. Courageous and determined. Faithful and fearless. That is who you are and who you have always been. And understanding it can change your life, because this knowledge carries a confidence that cannot be duplicated any other way” -Sheri L. Dew
Friday, September 5, 2008
Kadyn's First Kiss?
Kadyn practices soccer on Thursday evenings so yesterday we packed as normal and headed down to the fields. Everything was running as usual. The coach was playing a game where each child has a number and when your number gets called you run for the ball and attempt to score. One of the little boys next to Kadyn (Daniel - also the coaches son) took his turn and while running back to his spot fell down. He quickly jumped up though and things seemed fine until I witnessed the following take place. Kadyn looks over at Daniel and then looks down at his scrape. She looks back and with all the confidence in the world walks right up to him, takes his face between her two little hands and plants a big wet one on his lips!! The other parents and myself all froze. Daniel stood there stunned for a moment and then ran to his Mom waving his hands in the air and while half crying, half screaming, proclaimed that Kadyn had just kissed him on the lips. By now the adults were all laughing and I was running across the field to speak with Kadyn about the subject of kissing - a topic I wasn't yet prepared to have with my four year old daughter in the mist of a soccer practice. I knelt down and said, "Kadyn sweetheart, I know you think Daniel is cute but we don't kiss people on the mouth, alright?" She looked up at me with her innocent sweet face and said, "Oh Mom, it's not just that he's cute - I love him!" She then ran back on the field and continued to practice as though nothing had happened. We spoke a bit more of it after returning home but I wanted to be careful so as not to embarrass her. Her actions were so honest and genuine. I think now she has a little more understanding of the proper way to show affection to others. You know, like a nice pat on the back or a "Good job pal", at least until she's in college!