Monday, April 7, 2008

Rock Chalk. . . Tigers?

So. . . you think you know me. (Steven's first official post)

Those of you who know me really well can attest to the fact that before getting married I was a HUGE sports fan. In high school it was all about baseball: following the hometown Royals and NL upstart Braves, running fantasy baseball leagues (on paper mind you), and even taking summer trips up to the college world series with my buddies. At the Y it was all about LaVell and the Cougs. In fact, one of the few journal entries still remaining from my time at the Y (after scratching out pretty much everything relating to college dating angst) details the cougars 14-1 season and cotton bowl win in 1996. For some reason, in my sports obsessed mind, THIS was something noteworthy for posterity that must be recorded. You could say my heart was 'Fully Invested' well before this was the paradigm of BYU football.

My wife will attest to the fact that I am (mostly) a changed man. I am free from Sunday sports, only follow the Royals through April (as they are inevitably out of playoff contention by April 14th), seldom bother with an NBA game, leave hockey to the Canadians, and still consider US soccer not a real sport.

I say mostly, however, because I can't quite give up 2 things:

First, I am still obsessed with BYU football, despite the attempts to kill it by Craig Thompson and the mtn. My daily routine still makes room for reading the trib's BYU blog and commenting (albeit sporadically) on cougarblue.com (Armydoc2k5). I still can't handle close games without a serious rise in blood pressure and heart rate (so much so that if I am on call on a weekend BYU is playing and potentially have to scrub in the OR I can't sit and watch the game because it will make my hands shake from anxiety during the case); and a loss still requires a full week to fully overcome emotionally. (I know, it's lame but I can't help it).

The second item you may not know, is the whole reason for posting. I am a full blooded, Rock, Chalk, beware the phog, nostalgic for Danny Manning, still can't get over Roy Williams leaving, Kansas Jayhawk basketball fan. I attribute this to a fortuitous National Championship in my formative years and the influence of my sixth grade teacher- Mrs. Ready, but I can't give up on the Jayhawks. I have picked them to win my bracket every year since 1988. And every year, whether tantalizingly close or embarrasingly absent, they have disappointed.

So I should be happy at their recent fortunes and the upcoming championship game on tonight, right? There is only one problem. . . I live in Memphis, where basketball is 'King' when they aren't celebrating Martin Luther or Elvis (the other King obsessions here in Memphis).

This year a local furniture store had a sale at the beginning of the basketball season: If the Memphis Tigers win it all, your furniture is free. Being in need of an upgraded bedroom set, Lynette and I thought "We need furniture, what could it hurt?" and we proceeded to splurge on $2500 worth of furniture (which we desparately needed- as almost all of our furniture has been handed down since we got married). Our prospects have soared as the Tigers reached number one in the rankings, lost only to UT during the season and have sailed through the Tourney so far. Each game my wife grows more excited. I, on the other hand, have felt my anxiety continue to rise as the inevitable has happened: Kansas vs Memphis in the finals. Do I cheer for a $2500 investment, or the emotional investment I chose in my childhood and have stood faithfully by through thick and thin for 20 plus years?

What do you think I should do?

(I choose KU. If they lose, I'll be comforted with $2500 of free furniture. If they win- I think I will be happy. We'll have to wait and see if I am $2500 happy. Either way, I can't watch the game- I get too anxious.)