Like most families we are continually building and rotating our food storage. With the frequent moves we participate in though, we have found it necessary to "customize" our food storage in such a way that will fit our family best. Food therefore is packaged in boxes that are easy to move and water is stored in five gallon, or smaller, containers. The nice thing about that size is ones ability to throw a few in the back of the car if leaving urgently, not to mention the ease of rotating the water each spring by using it for your flowers or yard.
Out of the things we have thus far stored, I realized something on that day without electricity. The thought came,"what if we had to leave the house immediately? What then?" This thought continued to press on my mind for many days later. I therefore have followed the great example that so many of you have shown us, added with some great advice from incredibly knowledgeable members of our current ward, and fixed the concern that was so pressing on my mind.
For Steven and I the best route was purchasing a 72 hour pack that was already formed. Sorry, but combined my lack of excitement in shopping with a list of items such as whistle, light stick, swiss knife, and ponchos, and you will find me hiding in the closet.
Initially I bought the three oldest kiddos a backpack, then later remembered a wonderful friend who works at the Children's hospital. She always has a surplus of numerous items so I gave it a shot and called her up. Immediately she brought backpacks, including one for Haley J so we could store formula and a blanket. The kids had a blast packing their own personal emergency kits and it was a great opportunity to explain what each item is used for and why we our counseled by the prophet of our church to be prepared. I am so grateful for the wise counsel of our leaders and for that fateful day with three hours of no electricity.