Friday, February 22, 2008

Valentine's Memories

Did you know that Valentine's Day is one of my very favorite holidays? I love it. I love the candy hearts, the fun pink towels you proudly display in your kitchen and bathroom, and the fun card/candy isle at the store that is covered in all shades of red.

I love thinking back to Mrs. Koslkovich's first grade class where we made fun Valentine's Day heart pockets and hung them on the wall so that fellow students could put a Care Bear or Strawberry Shortcake Valentine inside. You would wait anxiously at your desk- not looking over at your own pocket because you didn't want to be disappointed, but hoping that it was filled to the brim with Valentine's wishes. Of course, it always was, for in first grade the rule is, 'only bring something to share if you have enough to share with everyone'. Ahh, the days of our youth. (I turn thirty this year so I actually have a right to make that statement!)

With my love of Valentine's Day our family continues to celebrate with excitement. We always make dozens of sugar cookies and decorate them with fun icings and sprinkles and then distribute them to neighbors and friends. This year we also tried some cupcakes so that we could display them on our fun cupcake holder that we recieved at Christmas (thanks mom).

Steven fondly remembers his Dad traditionally giving special Valentine's cards to all of the kids. With six daughters and a son it probably became a difficult task to not repeat cards! He must have done well, because Steven has proudly continued the tradition in our family ever since Ryley was born. We had a nice dinner and this year Steven got to celebrate the night on call (nothing says happy Valentine's day like orbital floor fractures). The girls and I attended a family Valentine's dance at the church. Ryley and Kadyn LOVED running around the gym and dancing the night away. I didn't even know they knew how to break dance until that night!