Overall it's been an enjoyable experience but I had to laugh when little Ryley came to me tonight with a very sad face after searching the kitchen and asked if there were any more peaches? I explained they were frozen and we could eat them throughout the year, but I had to smile knowing that at least for tonight the peaches were indeed gone!
“Noble and great. Courageous and determined. Faithful and fearless. That is who you are and who you have always been. And understanding it can change your life, because this knowledge carries a confidence that cannot be duplicated any other way” -Sheri L. Dew
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Peach Pandemonium
We kept our plans of picking additional peaches in efforts of freezing, jamming, and making pies with the great crop here in the South. While I'll admit it was enjoyable, and feels good to have fruit put up for the coming year; I'll also admit that I am exhausted and achy, and may have bitten off (or picked off in this case) a bit more than I can chew at this particular moment. The kids and I headed off on our own Monday, since it was the last day to pick and they would close before Steven arrived home. When I got to the orchard and stepped out with three children and a rather expanded tummy the two gentlemen hesitated in sending me off by myself to pick. Nevertheless, they handed me a basket and sent me to a new section of the orchard that I noticed was much closer in proximity to them than the last time we had visited. The girls weren't up to picking that day due to our extensive time in the sun lately, not to mention the fact that apparently peach fuzz makes one "itchy". Not knowing what else to do I parked the car in between four giant peach trees, turned a movie on -I know, that's awful - and began picking. Thatcher assisted me by placing the peaches in the basket and within thirty minutes we had surprisingly picked a very large amount. We brought them home and since then have spent our days, peeling, cutting, and preparing them, taking breaks of course to go to the pool.
Overall it's been an enjoyable experience but I had to laugh when little Ryley came to me tonight with a very sad face after searching the kitchen and asked if there were any more peaches? I explained they were frozen and we could eat them throughout the year, but I had to smile knowing that at least for tonight the peaches were indeed gone!

Overall it's been an enjoyable experience but I had to laugh when little Ryley came to me tonight with a very sad face after searching the kitchen and asked if there were any more peaches? I explained they were frozen and we could eat them throughout the year, but I had to smile knowing that at least for tonight the peaches were indeed gone!