Saturday, June 14, 2008

Southern Summers

Summers in the south are usually spent doing anything that will cool you down. I fear therefore that over the next few months the Ballard blog is going to become very typical and mundane. In an effort to entertain any readers we may have we will try to keep things interesting, but for the most part a good portion of our summer days are spent at the pool.

This year we decided to try out the YMCA due to the kid friendly environment that a number of families told us about. We usually go three days a week leaving the other two to rest from the sun and do other activities. They have a great indoor pool for when the kids want to work on their swimming but even better they have a fantastic outdoor pool for little ones. Being on my own most days I had to make sure that each one had the ability to float if I was to turn my head for even a second, thus, Kadyn and Thatcher have floatie swim suits and Ryley can swim pretty well on her own. Thatch doesn't like having the floatie suit on every day so the outdoor pool is a perfect option and comes right below his shoulders allowing him to stand all by himself, which he absolutely loves. It is so fun to see all three of them bounce around the pool and play games with each other. The kids have loved it there and can last 3 to 4 hours each day before I finally persuade them to pack it up and head home. By the time we get back, take a bath, eat, and play a bit, the day is practically at an end. It's been a great place to have in such hot and humid weather, and it's only June!






The "other activities" mentioned above would of course include the zoo. Each summer they bring back the butterfly house which is definitely a family favorite. They also love the polar bears and seals, which Steven and I also enjoy thanks to the air conditioned room in which you sit to watch them. It's been a great summer thus far and one thing we have enjoyed so much is having little Ryley home to play with us each day. I'm praying that August will take forever to arrive.