Monday, June 16, 2008

DMV Quality Control

I had an experience last week that has never before happend. I went to the DMV to renew my drivers license (well that HAS happened before, but just keep reading). This was a good thing. For the past five years my ID has had a picture that no one believes is me, due to the fact that I'm eight months pregnant with my hair back in a ponytail - which only accentuated my very swollen body. This afforded me an opportunity to fix that. I now have a picture where I'm six months pregnant with my hair back in a ponytail, and a slightly swollen body! Now people will believe it MIGHT be me.

I got to the DMV and luckily had all the correct documents for a new license. I was relieved to find that I didn't have to pass any driving tests and was excited the line was moving smoothly along (that HAS NOT happened before, but keep reading).

When I reached the counter the lady called my name and asked me to step forward to the machine and read the symbols on line 6 to check my eyes. I pushed my head against the machine and the rest of the conversation went something like this....

Lynette: "7, 4, 6, 9 . . . (the worker stops me)

Worker: "Ma'am, um . . . there are no numbers on the line."

Lynette: "Oh. O.K. (look back into machine) Um . . . dollar sign, dollar sign, F . . . (the worker stops me again - but not before giggling)

Worker: "Um . . . Ma'am, there are no symbols either. The entire test is all letters. Why don't you try one more time."

By this time I am freaking out and she is still giggling.

Lynette: "Um . . . G, S, P, L, B?"

I look up quickly. She looks to her left and then her right to make certain that no other workers are within ear shoot and says,

Worker: "Well, let's just chalk it up to pregnancy and leave it at that"

Lynette: "Are you kidding me?! I have always been 20/20! I can't fail an eye test! My husband's an Ophthalmologist!"

All right, looking back now I realize Steven's occupation is irrelevant to failing an eye test but it seemed to make sense at the time. I then in panic proceeded to look at every sign posted around the building and read them off in their entirety to her.

She said, "Mrs. Ballard, it's all right. I passed you regardless and you'll be o.k."
I left the DMV that day absolutely stunned and hope that chalking my failure up to pregnancy is both legitimate and legal. So a fair warning to all. If you see me on the road one day it may very well be in your best interest to move to the furthest lane possible.