Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lunch Lady

I attended Open House last week and was greeted by a giggling Kindergarten teacher who informed me that Thatcher Ballard was becoming very well known at Spoede Elementary with teachers and staff alike. They can't believe how entertaining he is and are quite surprised at the conversations that take place between him and surrounding adults. For example, the following happened just a few days ago when Thatcher entered the lunch line, excited to be having Mini Wheats cereal as a special Monday lunch item.

(Lunch lady hands Thatcher a sack with cereal, a muffin, and milk.)

Thatcher: (after looking into the bag) "Excuse me. Can I have another milk?"

Lunch lady: "No. I'm sorry. I'm only allowed to give you one milk."

Thatcher: "I would really like another milk please. I want to pour one in my cereal and I want another one to drink."

Lunch lady: "Sorry. Only one milk per child."

Thatcher: (Sighs) "Well, that's just unacceptable."

(Thatcher steps out of line. With the brown sack under one arm and his one milk in the other he begins searching the cafeteria for his teacher. Once she is located he taps her on the back.)

Ms. Davenport: "Yes Thatcher?"

Thatcher: (very seriously) "Who do I need to speak with to get another milk?"

Luckily his teacher is very nice and was able to secure a second milk for Thatch. I'm grateful he has the courage to step out of the line and attempt to fix his concerns - especially since every Monday is "healthy cereal day" for lunch.