Monday, December 14, 2009

GWO

My Dad passed away about seven years ago and regardless of the frequent coaxing and constant pleas for Mom to move closer to family she has decided to stay put in the Albuquerque area. I think deep down she feels safe and comfortable in the home that her and Dad lived in for over thirty years. She visits the kids frequently but still gets lonely at home.

To help ease that loneliness, last weekend Steven and my awesome brother in law put both her daughters on a plane headed to Albuquerque for a "girls weekend out". I was pretty nervous about the whole idea seeing as I had never before left Steven and the kiddos alone. I had Haley J with me, which lessened the anxiety a bit and brought me great comfort when my Friday travel plans turned out to be a little bumpy. Alright, they went absolutely haywire, however, the three days that followed completely made up for any rocky start.

Quick travel recap:
Liz came from Utah and made it in record time. I came from Tennessee and what was suppose to happen verses what actually happened were two very different outcomes. I was to arrive in Abq. at 1pm, choosing Houston as my layover city so that no weather problems would arise. As it happens, Houston can indeed get snow and thus all flights were cancelled. We waited five hours, got put on a plane heading for Denver, sat on the runway for three hours, took off for a two hour flight, sat in Denver for two hours, took off for a one hour flight, and arrived in Abq. at 11pm - all the while holding Haley J in my lap. Ironically my luggage did not come off the plane but was discovered in a airport office the following day. Below is a visual of my excitement in finding the luggage.


Our main activities included shopping and eating, however, the quiet Sunday at church followed by visiting and baking together was definitely my favorite. It was a wonderful weekend and one that Liz and I are hoping to make an annual event
(nudge nudge wink wink to our wonderful hubbies).

I returned Monday night to a clean home, very happy children, and a smiling but tired Dad. Thank you Brannon and Steven for making our weekend possible!




Good Mexican Food. Mmmmmm
ABC bakery cake. Mmmmmm